Last modified: November 14, 2016
There are many different ways you can use our services – to search for and share information about your possessions, to communicate with other people or to plan your actions. When you share information with us, for example by creating a Nestead Account, we can make our services even better. As you use our services, we want you to be clear how we're using information and the ways in which you can protect your privacy.
- What information we collect and why we collect it.
- How we use that information.
- The choices we offer, including how to access and update information.
We've tried to keep it as simple as possible, but if you're not familiar with terms like cookies, IP addresses, pixel tags and browsers, then read about these key terms
first. Your privacy matters to Nestead so whether you are new to Nestead or a long-time user, please do take the time to get to know our practices – and if you have any questions contact us. Information we collect
We collect information to provide better services to all of our users – from figuring out basic stuff like which language you speak, to more complex things like which ads you'll find most useful
, the people who matter most to you online
, or which YouTube videos you might like.
We collect information in the following ways:
- Information you give us. For example, many of our services require you to sign up for a Nestead Account. When you do, we'll ask for personal information, like your name, email address, telephone number and sometimes credit card to store with your account.
- Information we get from your use of our services. We collect information about the services that you use and how you use them, like when you share information about an item you own with another Nestead user. This information includes:
We collect device-specific information
(such as your hardware model, operating system version, unique device identifiers, and mobile network information including phone number). Nestead may associate your device identifiers or phone number with your Nestead Account.
When you use our services or view content provided by Nestead, we automatically collect and store certain information in server logs. This includes:
- details of how you used our service, such as your personal inventory searches and your purchases.
- telephony log information like your phone number, calling-party number, forwarding numbers, time and date of calls, duration of calls, SMS routing information and types of calls.
- Internet protocol address.
- device event information such as crashes, system activity, hardware settings, browser type, browser language, the date and time of your request and referral URL.
- cookies that may uniquely identify your browser or your Nestead Account.
When you use Nestead services, we may collect and process information about your actual location. We use various technologies to determine location, including IP address, GPS, and other sensors that may, for example, provide Nestead with information on nearby devices, Wi-Fi access points and cell towers.
- Unique application numbers
Certain services include a unique application number. This number and information about your installation (for example, the operating system type and application version number) may be sent to Nestead when you install or uninstall that service or when that service periodically contacts our servers, such as for automatic updates.
We may collect and store information (including personal information) locally on your device using mechanisms such as browser web storage(including HTML 5) and application data caches.
- Cookies and similar technologies
We and our partners use various technologies to collect and store information when you visit a Nestead service, and this may include using cookies or similar technologies to identify your browser or device. We also use these technologies to collect and store information when you interact with services we offer to our partners.
Information we collect when you are signed in to Nestead, in addition to information we obtain about you from partners, may be associated with your Nestead Account. When information is associated with your Nestead Account, we treat it as personal information. How we use information we collect
We use the information we collect from all of our services to provide, maintain, protect and improve them, to develop new ones, and to protect Nestead and our users. We also use this information to offer you a tailored user experience.
If you have a Nestead Account, we may display your Profile name, Profile photo, and actions you take on Nestead or on third-party applications connected to your Nestead Account in our services. We will respect the choices you make to limit sharing or visibility settings in your Nestead Account.
When you contact Nestead, we keep a record of your communication to help solve any issues you might be facing. We may use your email address to inform you about our services, such as letting you know about upcoming changes or improvements.
We use information collected from cookies and other technologies, like pixel tags
, to improve your user experience and the overall quality of our services. Our automated systems analyze your content (including emails) to provide you personally relevant product features.
We may combine personal information from one service with information, including personal information, from other Nestead services – for example to make it easier to share things with people you know. Depending on your account settings, your activity on other sites and apps may be associated with your personal information in order to improve Nestead's services.
Nestead processes personal information on AWS servers in many countries around the world. We may process your personal information on a server located outside the country where you live. Information you share
Some of our services will let you share information with others. Remember that when you share information publicly, it may be indexable by search engines. Accessing and updating your personal information
Whenever you use our services, we aim to provide you with access to your personal information. If that information is wrong, we strive to give you ways to update it quickly or to delete it – unless we have to keep that information for legitimate business or legal purposes. When updating your personal information, we may ask you to verify your identity before we can act on your request.
We may reject requests that are unreasonably repetitive, require disproportionate technical effort (for example, developing a new system or fundamentally changing an existing practice), risk the privacy of others, or would be extremely impractical (for instance, requests concerning information residing on backup systems).
Where we can provide information access and correction, we will do so for free, except where it would require a disproportionate effort. We aim to maintain our services in a manner that protects information from accidental or malicious destruction. Because of this, after you delete information from our services, we may not immediately delete residual copies from our active servers and may not remove information from our backup systems.
Information we share
We do not share personal information with companies, organizations and individuals outside of Nestead unless one of the following circumstances applies:
We will share personal information with companies, organizations or individuals outside of Nestead when we have your consent to do so. We require opt-in consent for the sharing of any sensitive personal information.
- For legal reasons
- We will share personal information with companies, organizations or individuals outside of Nestead if we have a good-faith belief that access, use, preservation or disclosure of the information is reasonably necessary to:
- meet any applicable law, regulation, legal process or enforceable governmental request.
- enforce applicable Terms of Service, including investigation of potential violations.
- detect, prevent, or otherwise address fraud, security or technical issues.
- protect against harm to the rights, property or safety of Nestead, our users or the public as required or permitted by law.
We may share non-personally identifiable information publicly and with our partners. For example, we may share information publicly to show trends about the general use of our services.
We work hard to protect Nestead and our users from unauthorized access to or unauthorized alteration, disclosure or destruction of information we hold. In particular:
- We encrypt many of our services using SSL.
- We review our information collection, storage and processing practices, including physical security measures, to guard against unauthorized access to systems.
- We restrict access to personal information to Nestead employees, contractors and agents who need to know that information in order to process it for us, and who are subject to strict contractual confidentiality obligations and may be disciplined or terminated if they fail to meet these obligations.
Compliance and cooperation with regulatory authorities